Dogs are welcome on the track, but they must meet the criteria and controls listed below so as not to upset other track and hut users, or disturb farm animals and wild life. If you wish to bring a dog please inform the track ranger via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week prior to arrival at the property. There are pest control traps and bait stations along the walking track and at the huts, these are all dog safe.
- There may be other dogs and other people present on your trip, so your dog is not to be aggressive or menacing in nature.
- All dogs must have had a recent worm dosing including active ingredients listed to control sheep measles eg Drontal.
- Your dog must wear a collar or harness and owners must carry a leash to be used when appropriate, eg around other dogs, around other people, while passing by farm animals or in areas where your dog is taking an interest in wildlife.
- Dogs are to stay with their owners on the walking track and not be roaming out of sight.
- Dog excrement is to be moved off the tracks and away from around camps and shelters.
- Dogs are to be restrained around accommodation sites so as not to scavenge around bait stations or nuisance other track users.
- Dogs are not allowed inside the huts. There are secure and cozy dog motels (kennels and runs) set up next to each accommodation facility. We can transport in your dogs own bedding if you wish. Some people prefer to take a tent to sleep next to their dog, we are happy to transport these in. It is expected that you will ensure that your dog is not whining or barking at night.
- Please mussel your dog if it is known to attack birds.
- No pig hunting dogs.
When you are dropped off at the beginning of the track on the first day the track ranger will give you a history of the farm, conservation projects and the surrounding area.
Island Hills Station is a working sheep, cattle and honey farm with it’s own protected conservation reserve.
Fully Equipped Huts
No WiFi or coverage
BBQ's at Each Hut
Bush Hut is the third night accommodation a wonderful forest setting and a real step back in time. Situated in the middle of one of the biggest QEII conservation covenants in the country.
The Valley Camp Hut was built for pest control and mustering and now gives you the chance to spend your second evening in the heart of the high country.