Learn how to target New Zealand’s big game species
Start out on your alpine backpack hunting tour with the experienced public land hunters from the NZWildThings crew. Come out on a multi-day private land “practice hunt” in rugged terrain.
We will build your knowledge and confidence to be able to customize your own New Zealand hunting holiday and make the most of your time here.
Rifle hire available for the remainder of your trip around the South Island.
Meet your host,
Come and stay at our private base camp lodge and enjoy good company, food and refreshments, while we access nearby steep and rugged terrain to locate red deer and chamois, with options for back pack trekking and fly camping out amongst the mountains.
Borrow one of our rifles for your coaching session, then hire a suitable rifle for the rest of your adventure or we can assist you with purchasing or bringing your own rifle into New Zealand. Bow hunters also welcome.
- Sleeping bag and bathroom towell (options to hire these items)
- Snacks and drinks
- Insect repellent (for sand-flies and mosquitos)
- Hiking boots (preferably with gaiters)
- Hiking style “active” wear.
- Warm clothing layers including beanie and gloves
- Weather proof jacket and over trousers
- Sun protection including sunscreen
- Cap or hat
- Headlamp and spare batteries
- Soap and other personal effects
- Hiking pack
- Day pack
- End-of-day liquid refreshments
High Country Hunting Pricing
- 3 nights and 3 ½ days $1725 for the first hunter
- Additional hunters (up to 3 in total) $450 per hunter
- Additional non-hunters staying at base camp or camping $350 per person self-care (guided hiking options available at extra charge)
You are welcome to use the opportunity to photograph or video the wild animals during our coaching sessions, but if you wish to take a shot animal kill fees apply.
Animal Kill Fees
$250 per non-trophy red deer, $100 wild pig, $1000 trophy red stag, $2000 chamois.
Helicopter available at extra charge for high country drop off, for the back pack hunting to be mostly downhill, price on application.
Guided Public Land Tahr Hunting
Options are available as an additional hunt, price on application.
All prices in $NZ including GST (tax).
Other hunting experiences
Sign up to our newsletter
We'll keep you updated on Island Hills Station news and special offers.
Island Hills, 1612 Tekoa Road, Culverden 7392